Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Final Dance

          It was a wedding day. Nisha looked gorgeous. Every time I looked at her my heart skipped a beat. Every time she looked at me, she blushed a deep crimson. I am sure she could feel all my love for her on this very special day. Amidst all the guests we still found time to look at each other. Our eyes spoke a language that we had perfected after so many years of being together.

The music played. It was out favorite Hindi song. "Kyonki tum hi ho.." from the movie Aashiqui 2. She
looked at me, her eyes asking me if I wanted to dance. I did. Nisha was wearing a black backless silk gown.
The gown accentuated every curve of her slim body as. Her black stilettos matched her gown perfectly. A delicate gold necklace with a delicate pink diamond sat perfectly on her neck. Her long earrings gently kissed her shoulder. She had left her hair open; just like the way I loved... She walked towards me. All the eyes in the room followed her.

“You look beautiful Nisha” I said. She flashed her most radiant smile. After so many years, my heart still went bonkers when she smiled.

I was dressed up in a black tuxedo. Trust me, I have never felt so uncomfortable. However, Nisha asked me to wear one and I had no say in the matter. I remember how she had dragged me into an upscale boutique, after trying out like a hundred shirts, blazers, trousers she picked out the tux that I was wearing today. Her choice was no doubt impeccable. I looked nice. For some weird reason, I remembered a line that our Marketing Professor used to say, “If the product ain’t that good, ensure that the packaging is awesome.” I didn’t feel like a really good product right now. However the packaging was, no doubt, Awesome!!!

“I told you, the tux would look nice on you.” Nisha said.

“I know... your sister has looking at me ever since I walked in.” I said.

Nisha slapped my arm and looked at her sister. She was watching us.

“Shut up. You don’t look at her.” Nisha said.

“What’s more, even Seema is staring at us right now.” I pointed to her mother. “Maybe I should dance with her too. What say? I am sure Hans will get all jealous. All the females in his family are crazy about me.” I laughed at my own joke.

This time she didn’t slap me. She actually punched me right in the gut. “I have told you a thousand times; don’t address mom and dad by their first name.”

We looked at each other and smiled again. I didn’t want this moment to pass.

We stood at the center of the dance floor. We were surrounded by our friends. Nisha placed her left hand on my shoulder. Her right lay slightly on mine. We swayed to the music. She looked deep in my eyes. Her eyes had a glow that I had seen so often. I had my whole world in my arms. She was all that mattered right now. I placed my left hand on her waist. The touch was tantalizing. Her skin felt like silk against my fingers.

We were silent for some time as we danced our way through the song. She rested her head on my shoulder as we danced. She let out a deep breath, as though she was content. Everything that she wished for was happening for real today. I smiled.

“I love you Nisha,” I whispered.

“Can I ask you one thing Jitu?” Nisha asked. Her head was still resting on my shoulder. I wished she looked at me.

“Anything you want mi Amor” I whispered.

She lifted her head and looked at me. “Why do you love me so much?” She asked.

“I don’t know Nisha.” I said. “I do know one thing though, I have loved you from the time I saw you. I have loved you when we laughed together; I have loved you when we fought. I have loved you when I was the only one person you could rely on; I have even loved you when I was not even on your priority list. I have loved you when we chatted for hours on end; I have loved you when we didn’t talk for days together. I have loved you when the days were bright; I have loved you though the long lonely nights. I have loved you through your successes; I loved you when you were just plain unreasonable. I don’t know if anyone can love you more, but I am sure, I love you more than I ever loved myself. If I had not met you, I wouldn’t know what it is to love someone so unconditionally.  I meant ever word when I said, ‘I can fight the whole world for you Nisha.’”

My eyes never left her gaze. Her eyes welled up. The tears were about to cross the threshold of her eyes. She blinked and looked down. Tears ran down her cheek. I wiped them off with the back of my finger tips.

“I am so lucky to have you in my life Mr. Patil,” Nisha said.

“I am so lucky to have known you Mrs. Nisha Suraj Mukherjee.” I said. “I really hope that Suraj takes good care of you and the only tears in your eyes would be the tears of joy. Thanks the Final dance Nisha. Now get back to your soon-to-be husband.”

Nisha let go of my hand and walked towards Suraj. I turned around and walked towards the exit. A lonely tear escaped by eyes as the song faded into claps and cheers. I couldn’t bear to see Nisha say, I Do!!!

   

2 comments:

  1. its really heart touching specially your reply to her when she asked you that "Why do you love me so much"

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish the last part just changed to jitu's favour.... u broke my heart man... could feel it for the character in ur story.... sigh

    ReplyDelete